In case you don’t know, Beautiful People is a blog meme meant to help a writer get to know their characters better. Every month, a set of ten questions is released and you can answer them with whatever character (or characters) you want. You can find this month’s questions here.
For this month, I decided to do it for my character Mercedes (“Meche” as her nickname).
1. Do they want to get married and/or have children? Why or why not?
Meche has no desire to get married or have children. She has other priorities, including leading a rebellion. Those things are the furthest from her mind. That and she doesn’t want to fall in line with society’s expectations for women. Though they can be fighters, they’re still expected to fulfill the usual roles of mother and wife, something she doesn’t entirely agree with.
2. What is their weapon of choice? (It doesn’t necessarily have to be a physical weapon.)
She prefers her pistols, which she has affectionately given names. They’re her go-to and she carries them wherever she goes.
3. What’s the nicest thing they’ve done for someone else, and why did they do it?
Once, when she was much younger, she saved her brother from a terrible situation (which I can’t mention because it’s a spoiler). Not only did she cover for him when it came to their parents, but she helped him through the trauma, teaching herself rudimentary psychology and coming up with her own treatments in order to help him.
4. Have they ever been physically violent with someone, and what instigated it?
Let’s get one thing straight: Meche doesn’t shy away from fights. Far from it. She’s usually the one to start a fight, and it’s often because she’s standing up for someone. One such example would be when she was eight and Emilio (her brother) was six, she fought off the bullies for her brother. They instigated it by teasing Emilio beforehand.
5. Are they a rule-follower or a rebel?
She is very much a rebel. Rules were never something she thought should be followed, especially if they were detrimental to other people. For this reason, she joined the guerrilla movement.
6. Are they organized or messy?
Mercedes does her best to stay organized but left to her own devices, things slowly descend into organized chaos. She might know where everything is, but someone else wouldn’t at all.
7. What makes them feel loved, and who was the last person to make them feel that way?
She feels loved when others give her gifts, unwarranted or not. Meche is normally the one to do everything without expecting anything in return, so a “thank you” or a small gift makes her day. The last person to make her feel that way was Emilio.
8. What do they eat for breakfast?
Her breakfast consists of eggs with sausage. Sometimes it’s tortillas and some chorizo.
9. Have they ever lost someone close to them? What happened?
Meche hasn’t lost anyone in the time she can remember. She did lose her mother, but it was in childbirth, which she obviously doesn’t remember.
10. What’s their treat of choice? (Or, if not food, how else do they reward themselves?)
Her treat of choice is candy from a store just down the street from her house. She’ll stop by after a day of running errands and buy a small bag for herself.